“Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies ” is a book I would highly recommend for anyone intending to conduct online or hybrid courses. As an edublogger with over 4 years of experience reviewing educational web 2.o technologies, I find the tools that Pacansky refers to in this work to be highly effective and practical for any digital learning context.
According to Pacansky, emerging technologies are ” tools or types of tools that are making an impact in teaching and learning but are not yet adopted in mainstream teaching practices.” Examples of these technologies that are mentioned in this book include: cloud based technologies, web 2.0 tools, social media, and mobile apps.
This book does not focus on the web tools per see much as it focuses on how teachers can use them to teach effectively. It particularly places an elemental emphasis on students experiences, provides a framework for evaluating tools, and shares stories, tips, and showcase samples from both the author’s own classes as well as other instructors’ classes.
If professors are encouraged, inspired, and incentivized to teach with emerging technologies, the playing field will shift and college will play a formative role in mastering necessary 21st-century skills and encouraging students to develop a credible digital footprint, which will play an important role in an individual’s personal and professional success long after college.
The main things you will get to learn from this book as a teacher and instructor include :
- Different strategies and techniques for integrating emerging technologies in your teaching.
- Fundamentals about student privacy and copyright issues
- The impact of web 2.0 technologies on the way we learn and socialize
- Criteria to consider when evaluating tools to use in your classes
- Introduction to a wide array of web tools to create a truly student-centered, participatory learning experiences
- Samples and showcases that demonstrate certain ways teachers have been using the tools mentioned in this book
- Explore the pulse and future of mobile learning in college
“Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies ” by: Michelle Pacansky-Brock