The story of David Goggins is a story of resilience, perseverance, and inspiration. As a kid, David experienced all kinds of hardships and struggles including physical abuse, prejudice, and poverty; but not one of these hardships stopped him from getting himself out of the yoke of misery into the spotlight of fame.
Through self-discipline and hard work David Goggins was able to realize success and transform himself “from a depressed, overweight young man with no future into a U.S. Armed Forces icon and one of the world’s top endurance athletes. The only man in history to complete elite training as a Navy SEAL, Army Ranger, and Air Force Tactical Air Controller, he went on to set records in numerous endurance events, inspiring Outside magazine to name him “The Fittest (Real) Man in America.”
Can’t Hurt Me is an engrossing memoir that chronicles David Goggins amazing journey step by step and offers key life lessons along the way. Goggins’ main argument in the book is that in order to achieve anything you want in your life, you need to push past pain, persevere, and keep strong. It sounds like common sense, which it is , but Mr Goggings stories imbue those words with wisdom and meanings, ones that will resonate with so many of you.
Regardless of where you are in your life, there comes times when we feel at our lowest points, those are the moments when what we need the most is to hear uplifting stories of people who have experienced pain and distress only to come out stronger and tougher. Can’t Hurt Me is one of these uplifting stories you will find yourself coming back to for doses of inspiration and motivation.
If you want to get the audiobook keep in mind that it contains interludes where Mr Goggins is being interviewed by the narrator. I found these interviews to be annoying. They interrupt the flow of the narrative and in fact did not see any added value in them. Also, I found some of the terminology used in the book to be extremely sexist. I personally do not approve of using female genitalia as symbols of weakness. I hope that Mr Goggings will pay attention to this issue in his future work. Other than that, Can’t Hurt Me is definitely a riveting memoir packed full of precious life lessons and success tips.
If you haven’t already read/listened to Can’t Hurt Me, you should definitely give it a try. Here is a sample of some inspirational David Goggings quotes from the book:
1. “Don’t stop when you’re tired. Stop when you’re done.”
2. “The most important conversations you’ll ever have are the ones you’ll have with yourself.”
3. “In every failure there is something to be gained, even if it’s only practice for the next test you’ll have to take. Because that next test is coming. That’s a guarantee.”
4. “Always be ready to adjust, recalibrate, and stay after it to become better, somehow.”
5.”Don’t stop when you’re tired. Stop when you’re done.”
6. “We’re either getting better or we’re getting worse.”
7. “Most wars are won or lost in our own heads.”
8. “We can’t control all the variables in our lives. It’s about what we do with opportunities revoked or presented to us that determine how a story ends.”
9. “The ticket to victory often comes down to bringing your very best when you feel your worst.”
10. “My happiness is my reflection on the suffering during my journey and knowing that I never quit nor was I guided by anybody on this earth.”
11. “You are in danger of living a life so comfortable and soft that you will die without ever realizing your true potential.”
12. “Denial is the ultimate comfort zone.”
13. “It’s a lot more than mind over matter. It takes relentless self-discipline to schedule suffering into your day, every day.”
14. “Everyone fails sometimes and life isn’t supposed to be fair, much less bend to your every whim.”
15. “Pain unlocks a secret doorway in the mind, one that leads to both peak performance and beautiful silence.”